What We Do
Software-Based Products & Services
You've got the idea. This software company can make it happen.
Blueberry’s software product development service gives clients the benefit of ‘on-demand’ technical expertise to help them build products they can market and distribute themselves.
As a software company, we can offer a wealth of experience in the design and development of standalone or shrink wrap applications and online products – and we can combine online and offline technologies to deliver the best of both worlds.
“They have established an ethical framework where honesty and integrity are key, making this project an absolute delight to work on with Blueberry.”
Mass-Market Application Development - Special Requirements
Creating custom software programs that will be installed and used by thousands – or millions – of people brings special requirements:
- The product often needs to be designed to work on multiple versions of Windows – sometimes it must work on Linux and Mac too.
- Security is a big consideration – most major companies now impose strict rules on how software can be installed, and the software installation program must work reliably in all cases.
- Upgrades and updates must be planned for – the program may need a special “check for updates” function.
- Testing of the software demands a lot of attention to ensure reliability.
- Often, the company behind the product needs to consider how to charge their end customers. Frequently, an online store and invoicing system is required.
- Copy protection should be considered.
Most general custom software development companies have little experience of these issues. Most will have the skills to write the core application – but without the experience of actually releasing a mass-market application, the issues above are likely to be overlooked.
Blueberry has a unique expertise in this area: not only have we created many separate applications for customers, we also have a sister company, Blueberry Software, which has developed and published a successful product for 16 years.
Whether your custom software product is only at the concept stage, or you have a fully documented specification, you can be confident that with Blueberry you’ll be in safe hands.
Online Software App Development
In recent years, there’s been an obvious shift away from standalone or shrink-wrap applications – more and more, people use the web to do tasks previously done on their PC.
There are a good number of reasons for this trend:
- Eliminating installed software reduces support costs.
- Online systems generally don’t have a piracy problem – something that has dogged the shrink-wrap market for years.
- Marketing to customers of online systems is much easier – with downloadable products, it’s much harder to connect sales back to marketing activity.
However, online isn’t necessarily a panacea – creating an online product is not suited to all applications, and it’s generally more expensive:
- Rich Internet Application development technologies have seen a major push in recent years. It requires developers with strong skills in AngularJS, Flash and HTML5 application development.
- If you provide your Software App online, you’re paying for the server costs for all your users – for a million-user application, these can be quite serious.
- The pace of evolution of web technologies means that development investment can easily be wasted – if you choose the wrong technology platform, you might find there are no developers available to support it in three years’ time.
These issues make it essential to plan any online product development carefully – and to talk to people who have real experience of the issues – people like Blueberry.