Software Development Placement
Are you a University Student studying Computer Science or Software Engineering? Are you on target for a 1st, and looking for a placement which will give you exposure to real software development on interesting projects and with the latest technology?
Blueberry is a highly technical software development company based in Birmingham and Stroud. We work for clients across the UK, building web, mobile and client-server systems – and we develop our own innovative products:
We’re Amazon and Microsoft Partners. We have a fleet of over 150 servers on Amazon’s AWS Cloud Hosting. We build systems using development technologies such as Angular, TypeScript and C# on a daily basis. We’re owned and managed by ex-developers, not accountants, and we’re passionate about technology. (We have an in-house budget for Kickstarter, which we’ve used to purchase a 3D printer and Laser Cutter for experimental project work)
We’re looking for candidates to join our one-year placement program in 2021/2022. As a smaller company, we believe our placement program is different from those offered by multi-nationals:
- Our placement students get direct exposure to all aspects of the development business, including customer trips, and technology / business model discussions with the CEO
- Students are involved in live customer projects where possible, and internal development projects if no customer projects are available
As well as recruiting UK students, we have a number of EU students on placement with us, so there is a community of young technical professionals within the company.
The placement involves software development on internal and live projects within the company. Our primary web development platform is Angular, Prime NG UI and Typescript on the front-end and C# / SQL Server on the back end. We have some legacy projects using WinForms. We are starting to use Microsoft Blazor on some new projects. For mobile, we’ve used Ionic and Xamarin. We also have some internal tools in Python.
Students will be based at our office in Birmingham. Working hours are fairly flexible but based around standard 9-5 office hours and a five-day week.
Standards tasks could include:
- Attending meetings with customers to help capture requirements, or review an existing project.
- Converting customer requirements into design documents or form designs.
- Learning new programming languages / technologies to solve customer or in-house problems.
- Writing SQL Queries and producing reports using our in-house reporting tool.
- Software testing: planning, execution and error reporting using our in-house project management tool.
The ideal candidate will be a current University student on a Computer Science or Software Engineering BSC course, with strong hobby or work experience of software development on Windows, Linux or Mobile platforms.
We value students who can show a personal and general interest in computer technology, and who are up to date on latest developments in development technology. Other qualities generally sought include the ability to work independently and on own initiative, a high standard of written communication and methodological problem-solving skills.
How to Apply
Applicants for this placement should send a current CV and covering letter as soon as possible to